Sunday, May 12, 2019

Wooden Toys!

I think everyone loves wooden toys.  There's something about them that is just more real than plastic toys.

I saw something last night when I was wasting time on the internet and it sparked an idea.  Here is how far I've come with it:


The little horses are meant to be reminiscent of the classic Dala horse from Sweden.  It is very stylized, but when you figure the people in this playset are just pegs with knobs on top, I reckon most kids can muster up the imagination to make these into noble steeds.

And, of course, a castle is a defensive structure, so these fine knights-to-be will need somebody to defend against.  Enter the Vikings!


A longship from a scrap of 2x4.

Still to be done: paint the peg people, add eyes to the horses, lacquer all the wood, make a bag to hold the parts for carrying or putting away.

Not a profound craft, but a fun thing to make on a Saturday afternoon.

And a big thank you to my lovely wife for not only encouraging me to make this, but for being so tolerant of me coming in the house all covered in wood dust "Man Glitter."  I'm the luckiest man in the world to have the wife I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment