Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Two Knives in Two Hours!

No kidding!  I really did make both these knives in just under 2 hours today.  I started from round bar and ended with what you see here.


Handles are made from local chokecherry limbs that were cut off the trees a couple of years ago.  I wanted to do semi-medieval knives with these, so the tang slots are burned in and the blades are held in with pitch, which actually holds them very well.  

The second knife is a little odd, in that the blade sort of cocks forward more than I had intended.  It will still make a good tool, but isn't quite the look I was going for.  The other I think I will make a sheath for.  It is a good knife and feels really comfortable in the hand.  

I took video of the whole process, except the hardening, when the battery ran out and I didn't notice, but you don't want to slog through two hours of me hitting steel.  Here's the condensed version with some narration: Two Knives, Two Hours.  

No comments:

Post a Comment