Saturday, April 13, 2019

Day Two of the 21 Day Bead Boot Camp 

This is a variation on the seed bead.  Dena Cowlishaw calls them "disk beads" and I can't really argue.  Hers are shaped slightly differently from mine.  We are looking at different historical pictures, I suspect.  There are several places where my own interpretations are going to differ from hers, but I try hard not to stray from the clear historical shapes, colors, and designs.


Here, I have displayed a few of the Day Two beads on the end of our pointed bead reamer.  These are thinner, more disk-like.  And getting them even is a little trickier than it appears.

At first, I didn't really think these should be considered a separate sort of bead.  Then I made a few.  Details make the difference.  Just by changing the proportions, we have a very different bead to make, even if it isn't all that much different to look at.

Real skill is apparent when you can tell that someone is making what he or she intends to make.  Happy accidents are wonderful, but are not really evidence of intentional skill.  My sizes are not perfectly consistent, so I can see that I have work to do in this area.

No comments:

Post a Comment