Sunday, April 28, 2019

Throwing Knives

As a rule, there are only two kinds of throwing knives.  There are the knives that are tough enough to take the abuse and there are the knives that are in pieces.  Purpose-made throwing knives usually fall into the former category, of course.  Almost all others fall into the latter.

But some knives that are not made with the intent to throw them are still tough enough to take the abuse.  That's the reason it is worth really learning the limits of the materials you work with.


At some future time, I may post something about how I test my blades so I know what sort of performance potential they have.  For now, this is an illustration of what sort of performance I expect from the steel I use and the heat-treat I give it.  In addition to this level of durability, I expect this blade to hold an edge better than most knives you can buy in a store.  


The purpose-made throwing spikes are made of the same steel as the .50 caliber knife.  I've been throwing those spikes for a couple of years now.  Today, yesterday's fun project joined them.  The guard makes it a little heavy, so it flies a little lower.  It sticks deeply in the wood.

Good times.  I love summer.

Now if only I could get over the last of this congestion and feel healthy again...

No comments:

Post a Comment