Monday, May 25, 2020

Kantele volume

The little kanteles I made recently are fairly quiet.  But not as quiet as the practice board I started with.

Just in case anyone reading this is curious about relative volume, here's a simple video.  Please remember that I am not, at this time, a kantele player.  I hope to be able to consider myself a player before long, but I am only as far as being able to tune and sort of form a couple of chords.  A good player can get a lifetime of music out of those 5 notes, but I'm not even close to there yet.

Still, if you just want to hear the volume difference, the video will illustrate.

The strings are the same between the two instruments.  Vibrating string length is very close, and I tried to use the same amount of force in strumming the two instruments.  The volume difference should purely be due to the different construction.

I actually suspect that the new kanteles would be a little louder if I used metal tuning pegs like with the practice board.  The wooden pegs may have a slight dampening effect on the strings.  I could be wrong about this, though.  I'd have to make another with the tuning pins to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment