Tuesday, May 19, 2020

2 New Kanteles

The practice board from the last post is a nice quiet way to noodle around, but can hardly be heard a few feet away unless everyone is silent.  I wanted a nicer one that actually has a hollow body and more authentic look.  So I made two.



I like to make two of anything when I am working.  Part of that is because I can correct a process if I mess up on the first one, part of it is just because if I really like what I make, I can share it with someone else and still have one for myself.  Also, there's a search for efficient use of materials that appeals to me.

These were made with wood I had on hand, using the tools I have in the shop.  The video tells the whole story, really.

The body is maple, the soundboard comes from cedar siding that was scrap from refurbishing a local church.  Hollowing the body was done with a forstner bit, which drills a flat bottom hole.  By setting the drill press table at a height of 3/32" below the lowest point the bit can reach, I knew I wouldn't drill through the wood all the way.

It is much louder than the little practice board.  I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment