Tuesday, September 15, 2020

A Piccolo Practice Kantele

My youngest child decided that she wanted a solid body kantele like Dad's.  Project time!

First step is selecting the wood.  Here's a fairly hard piece of poplar with a pattern drawn on it.  I don't think it is the ideal wood for this sort of instrument, but it works fine and I had it in my shop already.  The pattern is actually drawn on what will be the underside of the wood.  No particular reason, I just managed to draw it reversed from what it will be.  At this stage, it really doesn't matter to the process.


A brief session with the jigsaw and I have the body cut from the board.


I love my belt sander.  I use it for so many things.  Here, it was vital for refining the edges of the kantele.  I really like the graceful bird head shape at the top.  It is whimsical and elegant.  I think the look of the kantele was the first thing that attracted me.  The sound was next.  I know my young customer was very intent on having that shape at the top.  


A little scrap turned into a simple bridge.  Five holes for zither pins.  A spritz of spray lacquer.  



She wanted wood burned decorations.  She was kind enough to pronounce them perfect, though I can see the skill level of my pyrography just isn't up to what I would consider Third Grader artwork.


Linoleum nails make good hitch pins to anchor the strings.


I start the zither pins with a hammer, tapping them in until they stay put, then I can screw them in with the tuning wrench.


And there we have it!  A finished practice kantele for an 8 year old.  This one is tuned in G.  Super simple, fun little project.  Now I just have to get her interested in learning to play it!



No comments:

Post a Comment