Friday, September 27, 2019

Not a Knife!

What?  This guy makes things on the anvil that are not blades?  I mean, arrowheads aren't knives, but they are arguably blades, right?

I'm still a novice smith.  I do it for fun and personal satisfaction.  And few things are as satisfying as making a useful tool.

We use a wood stove to heat our house as a secondary heat source.  There are times when we need to poke at the wood in the stove as it burns merrily.  Or not so merrily.  But we've used our ash shovel to do that for a long time.  Like 9 years.

Until today.

Took me a lot longer to make this than I expected, but it was satisfying.  I forged it out of about 13" of half-inch square bar.  Final length is about 18".  This is too short for a fireplace poker, but just about right for the wood stove.  

I took video of the project and once I finish editing it, I'll put it up here so both of my loyal readers can watch it.  Or not.  Very few people watch my YouTube channel.  Good thing I don't try to make money from it.  It is just a way to share with folks who may or may not be interested in the sorts of things I like to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment